Friday, February 17, 2006

Holy Starbucks, Trinidad Safeway!

It's been a while since I've visited my neighborhood safeway. I mean, let's face it, calling it the unsafeway might be reaching for that proverbial low-hanging fruit, but as my friend Aziz says, sometimes the low-hanging fruit can be very tasty.

Guess what else is tasty: The newly renovated safeway.

You see, normally I make the trek up to the Giant on Rhode Island Avenue. It's conveniently situated near the Post Office and Home Depot, making it easy to achieve a trifecta of errands in a fraction of the time. But time was slipping away from me yesterday and I was on a mission to make my friend a Bundt Cake for his birthday. (The Bundt Cake was very tasty. Here is a picture of it unfrosted, which looks a bit nude and oddly pervy). I served it with powdered sugar and a fruit medley of blueberries, strawberries and mangos. All of which I got at the newly remodeled safeway, which brings me back to my point.

The new safeway is tricked out with all sorts of gourmet trappings. Not only does it feature a starbucks inside, it also features grocery carts with special coffee holders built-in. God, have I ever arrived! This safeway says "luxury, baby," and all at a fraction of the cost of Whole Foods.

I do wonder what this palace of gentrification will do to the community. It was a bit disconcerting to see some of the low-income shoppers navigating the shiny gourmet displays, and I have to expect that many of the products offered by the renovated safeway would bang the budgets of its previous shoppers. (Damn you, Tantalus!) On the upside, however, employees I spoke with at the store said the improvements translated to a better work environment and one nice woman behind the deli counter said Safeway had hired upwards of 100 new employees.

The one concern I have? The Starbucks better not eff with the business at R&B Coffee. I know I will continue to visit with Alfonso, Kenya and company over at R&B when I'm not going shopping. But the addition of the starbucks and other niceties at Safeway definitely caught my attention.

Step it up, Giant!

4 Comments:

Blogger Lonnie Bruner said...

Trinidad ...

Is that anywhere near Tobago?

12:59 PM  
Blogger Johnny Shades said...

You see, I do the opposite. Instead of shopping at tha fancy new Giant on Rhode Island or Trinidad Safeway, I go to the most ghetto supermarket I can find - the Shaw Giant on 9th and M. That way, I can avoid thinking about the ills of gentrification. It's like it's not even taking place...

1:51 PM  
Blogger Isaac Washington said...

Ask not who the coffee brews for, it brews for thee.

9:38 PM  
Blogger oohlaleah said...

Lossaaa
Just making a funny...even though it was not that funny
well, at all
like not even boarderline smirk
but your safeway looks an awful lot like my safeway...
suspsion.

12:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home