Saturday, December 08, 2007

Joshua Tree

In early November as the weather, at last, was turning cold in Washington, we spent a few days hiking Joshua Tree National park. I was there on a business trip to Palm Springs, so we only had two days to visit this lovely place before our return flight home. We split our trip in two, spending a day each in the Colorado and Mojave deserts, approaching the park from the Colorado desert end. It was hard to go home.

Trees near Lost Palms Oasis
Ocotillo
D. Mammal with long shadow in the Colorado

Tortoise on Lost Palms Oasis trail, about 1.5 miles in

Mastodon Peak

Atop Mastodon Peak

Thirsty
Hungry

Midday Desert Sun

Mammal, Boulders

Joshua Trees in front of Ryan Mountain with view of Saddle Rock - Mojave desert

Indian Shelter

Joshua Tree standing sentry on Ryan Mountain

Cactus

Mammal atop Ryan Mountain with view of Salton Sea
San Jacinto is just visible to the left in this picture

Mojave desert from atop Ryan Mountain with Salton Sea

San Jacinto Peak

Mojave Desert approaching Colorado Desert
We'll be back!

3 Comments:

Blogger Lonnie Bruner said...

Whoa, that place looks awesome. I'm jealous.

1:44 AM  
Blogger red storm said...

I was very interested in seeing the place but had no idea how incredible it would actually turn out to be. I can't believe I've never been there before and I'm so glad we took the time out to do it. I'm going to make sure I arrange to speak at that conference every year from now on so I can tack on a few days to explore the park. I could have spent a month there happily! You and Lady L should check it out. It's less than an hour from Palm Springs and about 2 and 1/2 hours from LA.

3:02 AM  
Blogger Look Out Kid said...

Lovely photos. I like the one of the cactus with the sunlight catching the spines, like little halos.

And thank you for the kind words.

10:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home